Tapeworm-Medicine For Treatment,Doses And Side Effects.
Tapeworm is an intestinal parasite with a longitudinal series of similar body parts. It is caused by consuming food or drinking water that is polluted or contaminated with tapeworm eggs.
There are several types of tapeworms. Niclosamide works best for most types and praziquantel is the next best treatment.
This is also known as Yomesan. This medicine is used for tapeworm infection and often comes in chewable tablets of 500 mg.
Niclosamide is probably the best medicine for tapeworm. It works against most kinds of tapeworm in the gut, but not against cysts outside the gut.
Dosage of niclosamide for tapeworm
500 mg tablets. Chew well and swallow 1 dose only. Do not eat before or until 2 hours after taking the medicine. Giving a purge may help get rid of the tapeworm.
- Adults and children over 8 years old : 2 gm (4 tablets)
- Children between 2 to 8 years old : 1 gm (2 tablets)
- Children under 2 years old : 500 mg (1 tablet)
This is also known as Biltricide, Droncit. This medicine often comes in tablets of 150 mg and 600 mg. Praziquantel is effective in treating most types of tapeworms but is more expensive than niclosamide.
WARNING : Pregnant women and children under 4 years old should not take praziquantel. Women who are breast feeding should stop giving their babies breast milk while taking praziquantel and for 72 hours after taking it, squeeze out the milk and throw it away.
Side Effects : Praziquantel may cause tiredness, dizziness, headache and loss of appetite; but these side effects are rare at the low dosages used to treat tapeworm.
Dosage of praziquantel for most kinds of tapeworm including beef and pork tapeworm
10 to 20 mg/kg- Using 600 mg tablets. Take once only.
- Adults : 600 mg (1 tablet)
- Children between 8 to 12 years old : 300 mg (half tablet)
- Children between 4 to 7 years old : 150 mg (1/4 quarter tablet)
Treatment of dwarf tapeworm (H.nana)
This requires a larger dosage. Take once only.
- Adults : 1500 mg (two and half tablets)
- Children between 8 to 12 years old : 600 to 1200 mg (1 to 2 tablets)
- Children between 4 to 7 years old : 300 to 600 mg (half tablet)