Sunken Fontanel-Causes And Treatment
Sunken fontanel is the soft spot on the top of a newborn baby’s head. It is where the bones of his or her skull have still not formed completely.
Normally, it takes a year or a year and half for the soft spot to close completely.
Mothers in different places realize that when the soft spot sinks inward, their babies are in danger. They have many beliefs to explain this.
Some believe that it is because the mother has been so busy eating plantain (always eating plantain), some also believe that it can be treated with the application of local herbal tea.
Others thinks that the baby’s brains have slipped downward and they try to correct this by pushing up the roof of the baby’s mouth, by herbal remedies or by holding the baby upside down and slapping the baby’s feet.
SUNKEN FONTANEL CAUSES
Holding the baby upside down and slapping the feet does not help because a sunken soft spot is really and majorly caused by Dehydration.
This means that the child is losing more liquid than he or she is drinking.
He or she is too dry; this usually occur when the baby has the following issues like Diarrhea or may be Diarrhea with vomiting.
SUNKEN FONTANEL TREATMENT
- Give the child plenty of liquid such as breast milk, Rehydration Drink made with water, sugar, salt only. Boil water and allow it to cool then give it to the baby.
- If necessary, treat the causes of the diarrhea and vomiting. No medicine is usually needed.
TO CURE A SUNKEN SOFT SPOT
- Always feed the baby with breast milk.
- Do not turn the baby upside down in the name of curing of fontanel.
- Whenever the baby is having diarrhea with vomiting, always give Rehydration Drink.
NOTE : If the soft spot is swollen or bulges upwards, this may be a sign of meningitis. Begin treatment immediately.