Sinusitis-Signs,Causes,Prevention And Treatment.
Sinusitis (sinus trouble) is an acute or chronic (long term) inflammation of the sinuses or hollows in the bone that open into the nose.
SINUSITIS SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
- Pain in the face above and below the eyes ( It hurts more when you tap lightly just over the bones or when the person bends over).
- Thick mucus or pus in the nose, perhaps with a bad smell. The nose is often stuffy.
- Fever (sometimes)
- Certain teeth may hurt.
- The one that occurs frequently throughout the year. It comes and goes. It is known as recurrent sinusitis.
- The one that causes runny nose and also stuffy nose; this particular one can stay for up to 2 to 4 weeks and as the result of it staying for a longer time, it leads to facial pain. This type of sinusitis is called Acute Sinusitis.
- Another one is the type that can stay longer; may be from 11 weeks and above. When this happens, you know that you have the type that is known as the chronic inflammation symptoms.
- The type that can stay between may be 3 weeks to 13 weeks is known as subacute sinus inflammation.
- Do not smoke and make sure that you do not stay in an environment where people are smoking.
- When you get a cold and a stuffy nose, try to keep your nose clear.
- Make sure that you stay away and do not consume things that you know that you are allergic to.
- Always wash your hands properly under running water with soap. And also avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with an unwashed hands.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Sniff a little salt water into the nose
- Put hot compresses on the face
- Use decongestant nose drops such as phenylephrine (Neo-synephrine).
- Use an antibiotic such as tetracycline, ampicillin or penicillin.
- If the person does not get better, seek for immediate medical help or attention.
NOTE : When or if sinusitis is not taken care of or treated, it can lead or cause meningitis and also, the bone gets infected.