Schistosomiasis-Medicine For Treatment,Dosage And Effects.
Schistosomiasis is also known as Blood Flukes or Bilharzia. In different parts of the world, there are several types of schistosomiasis which require different treatments. Praziquantel is a medicine that works against all forms of the disease.
Metrifonate and oxamniquine are effective against some kinds of schistosomiasis. Medicines should be given under direction of an experienced health worker.
MEDICINES FOR SCHISTOSOMIASIS
This is also known as Biltricide, Droncit. It often comes in tablets of 150 mg or 600 mg
WARNING : Pregnant women should not take praziquantel. Women who are breast feeding should stop giving their babies breast milk while taking praziquantel and for 72 hours after taking it. Do not give praziquantel to children under 4 years old.
Dosage of praziquantel for schistosomiasis
40 mg/kg – Using 600 mg tablets. To treat schistosomiasis that causes blood in the urine (S. hematobium), give in a single dose
- Adults : 2400 to 3000 mg (4 or 5 tablets)
- Children between 8 to 12 years old : 1200 to 1800 mg (2 or 3 tablets)
- Children between 4 to 7 years old : 600 mg (1 tablet)
The above doses will also treat one kind of schistosomiasis found in the East and Central Africa and South America that causes blood in the stool (S. masoni). But in Eastern Asia, schistosomiasis causing blood in the stool (S. japonicum) requires a larger dose (60 mg/kg).
Give in one day:
- Adults : 3600 to 4200 mg (6 or 7 tablets)
- Children between 8 to 12 years old : 1800 to 2400 mg (3 to 4 tablets)
- Children between 4 to 7 years old : 900 mg (one and half tablets)
To reduce side effects, this larger amount can be divided into 3 smaller doses given in one day.
This is also known as metriphonate, Bilarcil. Metrifonate is a much cheaper medicine that can be used to treat schistosomiasis that causes blood in the urine (S. hematobium). Pregnant women should not take this medicine.
This medicine comes in 100 mg tablets.
Dosage of metrifonate for schistosomiasis
7.5 to 10 mg/kg per dose – 100 mg tablets. Give 3 doses at 2 weeks intervals. In each dose, give :
- Adults : 400 to 600 mg (4 to 6 tablets)
- Children between 6 to 12 years old : 300 mg (3 tablets)
- Children between 3 to 5 years old : 100 mg (1 tablets)
This is also known as Vansil, Mansil. It often comes in capsules with 250 mg. syrup with 250 mg in 5 ml.
Oxamniquine is used to treat schistosomiasis causing blood in the stools in South and Central America (S. mansoni). To treat S. mansoni found in Africa, larger doses than those given here are needed. Seek local advice; This medicine is best taken after a meal.
WARNING : Pregnant women should not take oxamniquine. This medicine may cause dizziness, drowsiness and rarely fits. Persons with epilepsy should use oxamniquine only when also taking epilepsy medicine.
Dosage of oxamniquine
This comes in 250 mg capsule
- Adults : 15 mg/kg/day
- Children : 10 mg/kg/day
Give for one day only
For adults, give 750 to 1000 mg (3 or 4 capsules) in one dose.
For children, give the following dose twice in one day.
- Children between 8 to 12 years old : 250 mg (1 capsule)
- Children between 4 to 7 years old : 125 mg (half capsule)
- Children between 1 to 3 years old : 62 mg (quarter 1/4 capsule)