Habits-List Of Habits That Can Affect Your Health.
Habits are behaviors formed that you display without knowing on a regular basis. Some of the habits that people have not only damage their own health but in one way or another harm those around them.
Many of these habits can be broken or avoided but the first step is to understand why breaking these habits is so important.
If alcohol has brought much joy to man, it has also brought much suffering especially to the women and children of men who drink. A little alcohol now and then may do no harm.
But too often a little leads to a lot. In much of the world, heavy or excessive drinking is one of the underlying causes of major health problems; even for those who do not drink.
Not only can drunkenness harm the health of those who drink through diseases such as cirrhosis of the liver, but it also hurts the family and the community in many ways.
Through loss of judgement when drunk and of self respect when sober; it leads to much unhappiness, waste and violence, often affecting those who are loved most.
How some fathers have spent their last money on drink when their children were hungry; How many sicknesses that comes because a man spends the little bit of extra money he earns on drink rather than on improving his family living conditions; How many persons hating themselves for one reason or the other, and takes another drink to forget.
Once a man realizes that alcohol is harming the health and happiness of those around him, what can he do? First, he must admit that his drinking is a problem. He must be honest with himself and with others.
Some individuals are able to simply decide to stop drinking. More often people need help and support from family, friends and others who understand how hard it may be to give up the habit. People who have been heavy drinkers and have stopped are often the best persons to help others do the same.
Drinking is not so much a problem of individuals. A community that recognizes this can do much to encourage those who are willing to make changes. If you are concerned about the misuse of alcohol in your community, help organize a meeting to discuss these problemss and decide what actions to take.
In many areas, alcoholics anonymous (AA) groups exist, where recovering alcoholics help each other to stop drinking.
There are many reasons why smoking is dangerous to your health and your family health.
- Smoking increases the risk of cancer of the lungs and lips. The more you smoke, the greater the chances of dying of cancer.
- Smoking causes serious diseases of the lungs including chronic bronchitis and emphysema; this is deadly for persons who already have these conditions or have asthma.
- Smoking can help cause stomach ulcers or make them worse.
- Children whose parents smoke have more cases of pneumonia and other respiratory illnesses than children whose parents do not smoke.
- Smoking increases your chance of suffering or dying from heart disease or stroke.
- Babies of mothers who smoked during pregnancy are smaller and develop more slowly than babies whose mothers did not smoke.
- Parents, teachers, health workers and others who smoke set an unhealthy example for children and young people, increasing the likelihood that they too will begin smoking.
- Also smoking costs money. It looks like little is spent but it adds up to a lot. In poorer countries, many of the poorest persons spend more on tobacco than the country spends per person on its health program. If money spent on tobacco was spent on food instead, children and whole families could be healthier.
Anyone who is interested in the health of others should not smoke and should encourage others not to smoke.
CARBONATED DRINKS (soft drinks, soda pop, coke, fizzy drinks, colas)
In some areas, these drinks have become very popular. Often a poor mother will buy carbonated drinks for a child who is poorly nourished, when the same money could be better used to buy 2 eggs or other nutritious food.
If you want healthy children and have a little money to buy them something; buy them a couple of eggs not carbonated drinks.
Carbonated drinks have no nutritional value apart from sugar. And for the amount of sugar they contain, they are very expensive. Children who are given a lot of carbonated drinks and other sweet things often begin to get cavities and rotten teeth at an early age.
Carbonated drinks are especially bad for persons with acid indigestion or stomach ulcer.
Natural drinks you make from fruits are healthier and often much cheaper than carbonated drinks.
NOTE : Do not get your children used to drinking carbonated drinks