Danger Signs In Pregnancy.
The following signs listed below are danger signs in pregnancy. Whenever you feel any of these signs, make sure that you get immediate medical attention.
- Bleeding : If a woman begins to bleed during pregnancy, even a little, this is a danger sign. She is probably having a miscarriage (losing the baby). The woman should lie quietly and send for a health worker. Bleeding late in pregnancy (after 6 months) may mean the placenta (afterbirth) is blocking the birth opening (placenta previa). Without expert help, the woman could bleed to death. Do not do a vaginal exam or put anything inside the vagina. Try to get her to a hospital at once.
- Severe anemia : The woman is weak, tired and has pale or transparent skin. If not treated, she might die from blood loss at childbirth. If anemia is severe, a good diet is not enough to correct the condition in time. See a health worker and get pills of iron salts. If possible, she should have her baby in a hospital, in case extra blood is needed.
- Swelling of the feet, hands and face with headache, dizziness and sometimes blurred vision are signs of toxemia or poisoning of pregnancy. Sudden weight gain, high blood pressure and a lot of protein in the urine are other important signs. So if you can do so, go to a midwife or health worker who can measure these things.
TO TREAT TOXEMIA OF PREGNANCY
- The woman should stay quiet and in bed
- Avoid salt. (use no salt, eat no food that contain salt)
- If she does not get better quickly, has trouble seeing, swells more in the face, or has fits (convulsion), get medical help fast. Her life is in danger.
DURING THE LAST 3 MONTHS OF PREGNANCY
- If only your feet swell, it probably is not serious. But watch out for other signs of toxemia. Use little or no salt.
- If you have a headache or trouble seeing and if your face and hands begin to swell, you may be suffering from Toxemia Of Pregnancy. Get medical help immediately.
TO HELP PREVENT TOXEMIA OF PREGNANCY
- Make sure you eat nutritious food
- Make sure you get enough protein
- And also make sure you use very little salt.